PRINCIPAL Lisa levin
I have been an educator, leader and parent in the San Francisco Unified School District for 22 years. My roles during this time have included classroom teacher, District Literacy Specialist, Instructional Reform Facilitator, Literacy Coach, PTA president and most recently Assistant Principal.
One of the most important aspects of my work as Sherman’s principal is building solid relationships with students, families and teachers. In addition to building strong relationships, it is particularly important to me to make sure that your child and you feel safe at school and experience a productive learning environment.
Every student at Sherman receives differentiated instruction that pushes them academically and socially to achieve their highest potential. As a school, we will do this by implementing the Math and ELA California Common Core Standards and SFUSD Core Curriculum. Teachers deliver rigorous instruction that meets the needs of all students by providing differentiated instruction and scaffolds (as needed) for independence and academic growth. Students are engaged in problem solving and critical thinking in different content areas. School and Classroom Climate promote social and emotional development by building relationships, implementing a positive behavior system, and promoting restorative practices. It is my goal for all families and students to feel appreciated and welcomed at Sherman Elementary School.
Sherman’s Success is Built on a Belief in Students.
Every child deserves a high quality, rigorous education that prepares them to enter the university of their choice regardless of their demographic or zip code.
- Have high expectations!
- Teachers and schools need to differentiate learning to meet students' diverse needs and continuously challenge students to expand their knowledge base.
- It's all about the relationships! Students learn when they feel safe. I strive to know all students' and families’ names and work hard to build lasting and meaningful relationships with them.
Students need a variety of creative and experiential learning experiences that develop and speak to their passions.
This will create strong citizens who prize diversity and seek out learning opportunities.
- We meet student's diverse needs and make learning come alive by creating schools with language programs, gardens, dance programs, orchestras, sports, science, and more. Sparking student's passions makes school fun and begins a life-long learning adventure. One never knows where a student's passion lies so we have to meet as many as we can now!
- Learning is fun! In elementary school, our job is to continue to develop a child's natural curiosity and making coming to school what an 8 year-old's life is al about.
- Through service and learning, we create good citizens who are aware of the world around them and work to right inequalities.
Schools serve as a beacon for the community to unite and break racial, class, and religious boundaries.
All Sherman students will achieve and surpass our learning goals for them if we as a school set high academic and social expectations, differentiate our curriculum, create a school culture that prizes learning, celebrate curiosity and critical thinking skills, provide extra curricular activities, and make learning apply to our students through real life experiences!
- Schools should be used at all times to meet the needs of a community. Parenting classes, ESL classes, school and community festivals, and computer classes allow us to reach out to our community.
- Sherman serves as the center of the community.
- Our garden enhances the community around us!
Join us as part of the Sherman community and experience an outstanding education. Sherman is a unique gem in the San Francisco Unified School District.